A home is one of the biggest investments a person can make in their lifetime. It is important to take care of your home and ensure everything is in good condition, including the roof. A poorly installed roof can affect the value of your home, so it is important to make sure that you hire a qualified contractor to do the job right. This blog post will discuss how a poor roof installation can impact your home’s value.
1) First, a poorly installed roof may cause damage to the underlying structure of your home. If the roof is not correctly flashed or sealed against the walls and other surfaces, water can seep in and cause rot and mould growth. That can lead to major structural issues that will greatly reduce the value of your home.
2) Second, an improperly installed roof can also cause cosmetic issues. If the shingles are not laid properly or made of inferior materials, they will not last as long and look less attractive than a correctly installed roof. This decrease in aesthetic appeal can lead to a decreased market value of your home.
3) Third, an incorrectly installed roof may cause energy efficiency issues. If the roof is not properly insulated or sealed against drafts, your home will be much less energy efficient than it could otherwise be. That can create higher bills for you and cause potential buyers to view your home as potentially more costly to maintain.
If you are in the market for having a new roof installed, make sure that you hire an experienced contractor to do the job. It is important to research your options and find a contractor with the experience and expertise to ensure that your roof is installed correctly and maintains its value over time. Keep these tips in mind when making this important decision!
1. Missing or improper flashing:
Flashing is a thin metal or aluminium that should be installed in certain areas, like skylights, chimneys and vents, to create a watertight seal. If the flashing isn’t properly installed, it can lead to major roof damage and leaks.
2. Improperly sealed shingles:
Shingles should be securely nailed and overlapped to ensure a watertight seal. If the shingles are not properly sealed, they can easily move or blow off during high winds, leaving your roof exposed to the elements.
3. Missing nails:
Missing nails on your roof are a telltale sign of a poorly installed roof. Nails should be driven at least ¾ of an inch into the wood to form a secure hold. If you have exposed nails on your roof, it could be due to inadequate nailing or improper installation.
4. Uneven shingles:
Installing new shingles is a skill that takes experience and precision. Uneven shingles are a sign of an inexperienced installer, as they can cause water to seep through the cracks between them and compromise your roof’s durability.
5. Improperly placed vents:
Properly installed vents allow air to circulate under the roof, which reduces the risk of moisture build-up. If the vents are not installed in the right areas, there could be a long-term effect on your roof’s health.
6. Poorly secured flashing:
Flashing should be firmly attached to the roof and sealed with caulk or asphalt. Water can enter the roof and cause major damage if it is not properly secured and sealed.
7. Broken or missing shingles:
If you notice any broken, cracked, or missing shingles, it is a sign that your roof is not properly installed. These areas must replace promptly to avoid further damage to the roof.
8. Poorly placed gutters:
Gutters are essential for directing rainwater away from your home and preventing water damage. Installing improperly can lead to major water problems in your basement or attic.
9. Standing water on the roof:
Standing water is a common sign of an improperly installed roof as it indicates an area of the roof collecting water. If this occurs, it can result in major structural damage due to increased weight and moisture.
10. Pooling water around the perimeter of your home:
If you notice pooling water around the perimeter of your home, it could be a sign that your roof has been installed incorrectly or there is an issue with the roof’s drainage system. Properly installed roofs will direct water away from your home and prevent pooling around the foundation.
With the proper care and maintenance, your roof can keep your home safe and secure for years to come. Make sure you invest in a quality installation to enjoy the benefits of having a properly installed roof for many years. At Garrison Roofing, we guarantee you get the best from our staff and that your roof will live its life against your investment. Call us now for your free quote!